How it works

How it works...On the tool bar you will find categories of menus I have put together. If you would like to try one out, email me or comment on the most recent post and I will send you the recipes, along with a shopping list (see sample menu). Please remember to include your email. Or just enjoy the recipes I have posted! adoxeymeals@gmail.com

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Gyoza, aka Pot-stickers

As I've said before, my parents lived in Japan for a while so we ate a number of Japanese meals in our house on a pretty regular basis. Gyoza is one of our favorite treats that we didn't get so regularly. They are pretty involved but worth every second.


Gyoza
Ingredients:
  • Wonton wraps
  • 1/2 - 3/4 lb ground Pork
  • 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce, more to taste
  • 1 c. scallions, chopped
  • 1 c. cilantro, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp ginger, grated or minced
  • Pepper, dash to taste
  • Garlic Salt, dash to taste
  • Vegetable oil
Cooking Directions:
(Set up: One cup with a little water. Two fry pans, one with vegetable oil. Another with a little water and a lid to cover it)
  1. Brown the pork, drain liquid. In large bowl, mix in all ingredients except wonton wraps and vegetable oil. Set aside.
  2. Cut wonton wraps into circles. The best way to do this is by place a cup upside-down on a few wraps and cutting around the edges to make a circle.
  3. Place a spoonful of pork mixture in the middle of wonton wrap.
  4. Using your finger, use water to slightly wet one side of the wonton wrap, this helps the two sides of the wonton stick together.
  5. Fold the wonton wrap so that it makes a semi-circle. Fold small creases along the top edge and press with finger to close two sides together.
  6. Heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add a few gyoza to the pan.
  7. Fry on each side until golden.
  8. Heat water in a simmer, transfer gyoza to fry pan with water and cover until gyoza are slightly softened. *This step is optional if you would like them crunchy*
  9. Eat and enjoy, dip in extra soy sauce.

2 comments:

Heidi and Rich said...

Do you have to steam them in water. I think I would like them crunchy. Any thoughts!?!?

akdoxey said...

They are good crunchy, I changed step eight to an optional step. I like them a little softer, and that is how they are generally eaten in Japan so I guess that's just how we always had them in my house.