- Pasta- any variety
- 1 (12 oz) jar Roasted Red Peppers, well drained
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3/4 c. fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 c. parmesan cheese
- 1 bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1/4 c. milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Optional: cooked chicken, cut in strips
How it works
Saturday, August 20, 2011
Thursday, August 18, 2011
Here's how I like to "dress up" a very basic meal.
Green Chilies & Cheese Burritos (serves 5-6)
- 2 cans Refried beans
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 7 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- White corn
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 - 1/2 c. milk
- Sour cream
In sauce pan, saute the onion in a small amount of butter about 1 minute. Add refried beans, milk, diced chilies and dash cumin. Cook until heated through, add cheese and stir until melted.
Layer beans, corn, tomato, sour cream and cilantro in tortilla. Wrap and enjoy.
Monday, August 15, 2011
Margarita Pizza (makes 2- 15in pizzas)
- 1 c. warm water
- 1 pkg yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 3/4- 3 1/4 flour
- Sprinkle Pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary
Mix yeast and sugar in warm water, set aside until well agitated. Pour into mixer with olive oil. Mix all dry ingredients with one cup flour. Add to wet ingredients and slowly add flour until dough sticks. Set aside and let rise until doubled. Punch and roll out. Sprinkle cornmeal on sheet under pizza dough. Bake dough at 375 for about 5 min before adding toppings.
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce, mix with basil, garlic powder, and oregano
- 4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese, fresh
- 3-4 roma tomatoes, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves
Saturday, August 13, 2011
This has been one of my signature treats that everyone goes crazy over. I hesitate posting it because I'd like people to think I've created some crazy concoction. Not the case.
While I lived in NYC, I discovered Dale and Thomas popcorn. Every time my family visited, it was a must. Unfortunately as the economy went further down, so did Dale and Thomas. So I decided to throw together my favorite popcorn treat from there and it turns out it was easy, tasted just as good, and for the $6.50 I would have spent on one bag, I could get about 6 bags.
So here's my "secret"...
Ingredients: (these portions are guidelines, alter as desired)
- 6-8 c Popcorn, when I'm in a hurry I use 2 microwave bags
- 6 oz White chocolate, melted. can even use almond bark, although real chocolate obviously tastes better
- 1 1/2 sleeves Oreo cookies, crushed
Pop the popcorn and mix with crushed Oreo's. Drizzle white chocolate and stir. Add chocolate until you get the desired consistency. Enjoy and share just a little.
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
- 1 lb ziti, cooked
- 2 medium zucchini, can substitute or add 1 yellow squash
- 3 c. chopped spinach, or more
- 1 small onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- 3 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- Basil, 1 tsp dried, 1/2 c. fresh, chopped
- Salt and Pepper taste
- Olive oil
Saute onion and garlic in 1 tsp olive oil. Add zucchini. Cook until tender. Add spinach and cook another minute. Add marinara sauce, cottage cheese, ziti, basil, salt and pepper, and half the mozzarella. Stir and pour into a 9 x 13 dish. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top. Bake at 425 for 10 min or until cheese is melted.
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Monday, August 8, 2011
Baked Burritos (makes about 8)
- 2c. cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 can pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 1 can diced green chilies (4 oz)
- 2 c. cheddar cheese
- 1 3/4 c. salsa
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 c. sour cream, plus extra for topping
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Burrito size tortillas
- 1 can Enchilada sauce, I like green on this
- 2 scallions, diced
Mix chicken, beans, olives, chilies, salsa, sour cream cumin, salt, pepper and 1 c. cheese. Spoon into tortillas and fold like burritos. Place on lightly sprayed sheet, seam side down. Bake at 425 about 15 min. Remove from heat and cover each burrito with enchilada sauce and sprinkle with more cheese and scallions. Bake an additional 5 min. Serve with lettuce, salsa, and sour cream.
*If you like some spice, use 1 can Ro-tel instead of salsa, use hot enchilada sauce, and sprinkle with pepper-jack cheese on top.
Thursday, August 4, 2011
Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 3 c. shredded chicken breast,
- 2 c. Red grapes, halved
- 1-2 stalks celery, cut in thin slices
- Cashew halves (optional)
- 1/3 – 2/3 c. Mayo
- Salt & pepper to taste, more salt if not using cashews
- Croissants or rolls
Mix ingredients, stuff and eat!
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
- 2 Chicken breasts, pounded
- 1/3-1/2 c. Balsamic vinegar, more or less
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Place chicken in baking dish, cover with vinegar, olive oil, and salts and pepper. Bake at 350 for about 20 min, until just barely done.